« ÎnapoiContinuă »
souls, and turn, or "repent ye, for the kingdom of God is at hand." All the invitations of the Gospel are in effect, "Behold the serpent of brass!" And then no longer can that soul live without the precious Saviour Jesus Christ!
Hezekiah destroyed the brazen serpent, calling it "Nehushtan," which signifies "a trifle of brass ;" and such is the state of sinful man before the LORD of Glory he must break in pieces his own works-bring them to nought. "I am the LORD, that is my name : and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images." Hezekiah "trusted in the Lord God of Israel, so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor any that were before him." See Isa. lx. 17; Jer. vi. 28-30; John, iii. 14.
"It has been said, "If the sun shine on brass, and those diseased in the brain look thereon, it will drive them to madness;" so will sin without Christ.-Ask for the Holy Spirit.
THE TWELVE GATES.
Rev. xxi. 12, 21.
THERE are twelve Gates to enter "The Holy City;"— Who knows at which gate he shall enter?
"The twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl"-"the Pearl of great price," Jesus. Mat. xiii. 45, 6.
It is evident our Lord sprang out of Judah, (Heb. vii. 14,) and Judah means Praise. Gen. xxix. 35.—“Thou shalt call thy gates praise." Isa. lx. 18.
By searching the word, we find the twelve Gates have One Name-Praise-therefore it will be by the Gate of PRAISE, every believer enters the City, "New Jerusalem," """whose gates shall not be shut at all." "Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD."
THE SKELETON OF SOLOMON'S
1 Kings. v.
17. “AND the king commanded, and they brought great stones, costly stones, and hewed stones, to lay the foundation of the house.
18. And Solomon's builders and Hiram's builders did hew them, and the stone-squarers: so they prepared timber and stones to build the house."
1 Kings, vi.
1. "And it came to pass in the four hundred and eightieth year after the children of Israel were come out of the land of Egypt, in the fourth year of Solomon's reign over Israel, in the month Zif, which is the second month, that he began to build the house of the Lord.
2. And the house which king Solomon built for the Lord, the length thereof was threescore cubits, and the
breadth thereof twenty cubits, and the height thereof thirty cubits.
3. And the porch before the temple of the house, twenty cubits was the length thereof, according to the breadth of the house; and ten cubits was the breadth thereof before the house.
4. And for the house he made windows of narrow lights.
5. And against the wall of the house he built chambers round about, against the walls of the house round about, both of the temple and of the oracle: and he made chambers round about:
6. The nethermost chamber was five cubits broad, and the middle was six cubits broad, ¡and the third was seven cubits broad: for without in the wall of the house he made narrowed rests round about, that the beams should not be fastened in the walls of the house.
7. And the house, when it was in building, was built of stone made ready before it was brought thither: so that there was neither hammer nor ax nor any tool of iron heard in the house, while it was in building.
8. The door for the middle chamber was in the right side of the house: and they went up with winding stairs into the middle chamber, and out of the middle into the third.
9. So he built the house, and finished it; and covered the house with beams and boards of cedar.
10. And then he built chambers against all the house,
five cubits high; and they rested on the house with timber of cedar.
11. And the word of the Lord came to Solomon,
12. Concerning this house which thou art in building, if thou wilt walk in my statutes, and execute my judgments, and keep all my commandments to walk in them; then will I perform my word with thee, which I spake unto David thy father:
13. And I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will not forsake my people Israel.
14. So Solomon built the house, and finished it.
15. And he built the walls of the house within with boards of cedar, both the floor of the house, and the walls of the cieling: and he covered them on the inside with wood, and covered the floor of the house with planks of fir.
16. And he built twenty cubits on the sides of the house, both the floor and the walls with boards of cedar : he even built them for it within, even for the oracle, even for the most holy place.
17. And the house, that is, the temple before it, was forty cubits long.
18. And the cedar of the house within was carved with knops and open flowers: all was cedar; there was no stone seen.
19. And the oracle he prepared in the house within, to set there the ark of the covenant of the Lord.
20. And the oracle in the forepart was twenty cubits in length, and twenty cubits in breadth, and twenty cubits in the height thereof: and he overlaid it with pure gold; and so covered the altar which was of cedar.
21. So Solomon overlaid the house within with pure gold: and he made a partition by the chains of gold before the oracle; and he overlaid it with gold.
22. And the whole house he overlaid with gold, until he had finished all the house: also the whole altar that was by the oracle he overlaid with gold.
23. And within the oracle he made two cherubims of olive tree, each ten cubits high.
24. And five cubits was the one wing of the cherub, and five cubits the other wing of the cherub: from the uttermost part of the one wing unto the uttermost part of the other were ten cubits.
25. And the other cherub was ten cubits: both the cherubims were of one measure and one size.
26. The height of the one cherub was ten cubits, and so was it of the other cherub.
27. And he set the cherubims within the inner house: and they stretched forth the wings of the cherubims, so that the wing of the one touched the one wall, and the wing of the other cherub touched the other wall; and their wings touched one another in the midst of the house.
28. And he overlaid the cherubims with gold.
29. And he carved all the walls of the house round