« ÎnapoiContinuați »
Yea court and woo for leave to do it good.
75. Refrain to-night,
76. sELF-DECEIT. Lay not that flattering unction to your soul, That not your trespass but detraction speaks : It will but skin and film the ulcerous place; While rank Corruption, mining all within, Infects unseen. 77. REPENTANCE, WITH AMENDMENT.
Confess yourself to Heaven:
Sometimes in our speech
The distracted Multitude Oft like not in their judgment but their eyes. 80. PUNISHMENT.
Exceeds it's bounds, the offender's scourge is But never the offence.
[weigh’d, 81. DESPERATE REMEDIES.
Diseases desperate grown,
What is Man,
84. USE OF TALENTS.
85. HONOR. Rightly, to be great Is not, not to stir without great argument. But bravely to find matter in a straw || When Honor's at the stake. 86. SACRIFICE OF HUMAN LIFE.
Twenty thousand men Will for a fantasy and trick of fame Go to their graves like beds.
* The word is used here for discussive faculty: as in the nervous old French of Amyot in his Plutarch : with wliom Shakespeare was much familiar.
| This can not be received as a general maxim : as such it has been most fertile of evil to individuals and to society. Though true Honor be inestimable, captiousness is no part of it. But the maxim is drama. tically just, as applied to the character and the moment,
87. AFFLICTIONS. When sorrows comes they come not single spies, But in battalions.
91. PROVIDENTIAL GUIDANCE. Our indiscretion sometimes serves us well, When ourdeep plots do fail. And that should teachi There's a Divinity that shapes our ends, [us Rough-hew them how we will.
92. PROVIDENCE. There is a special Providence in the fall of a
93. NO ILL BUT GUILT. [sparrow. Of Death we may say, if it be now it is not to come; if it be not to come it will be now; if it be. not now, yet it will come. The readiness is ah. + And in all displeasing events that take place, withoutour fault, either happeningor apprehended, we may have similar comfort.
94, DEATH-EARLY. Since no inan of aught he leaves knows, What is 't to leave in time?
Foul practices Turn on their authors.
96. RASH CENSURE. 1 Oft times a wounded name, The circumstance unknown, men leave behind Who highly merit glory, or at least [them, Deserve not bitter censure. 97. RETRIBUTION.
[blame. Wrong hath but wrong, and blame the due of
99. THE UN AMIABLE WILL BE FEARED. O Who cannot be belov'd seek to be fear'd.
100. TRIUMPH OF THE VILE. More pity that the Eagle should be mew'd, While Kites and Buzzards prey at liberty. 101. CHARITY.
Charity Will render good for bad; blessings for curses.
102. COMPASSION. No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity.
103. CRUELTY FOR KINDNESS. It is a quarrel most unnatural To be revenged upon those who love us.
104. SIMPLICITY. Cannot a plain man live and think no harm, But that his simple truth must be abus'd?
105. CONSCIENCE. The worm of conscience still gnaws the soul.
106. INJUSTICE UNIVERSALLY ODIOUS. * Tyrants will weep at tyranny reported.
107. * No man but prophecies revenge on crimes.
108. CRIMINALS FIRST TO ACCUSE. * Who does the wrong oft first begins to brawl.
Hypocrisy will cloath it's villainy With odd old ends stolen forth from holy writ, And seem a Saint when most it plays the Devil.
110. JUDGE NOT BEFORE THE TIME. * Before he be convict by course of law To tbreat a man with death is most unlawful.
111. CONSCIENCE. o Conscience to all accuseth every crime. 112. GOD TO BE OBEYED BEFORE MAN.
The great King of Kings Hath in the table of his law commanded That thou shalt do no Murther. Wilt thou then Spurn at his edict, and fulfil a Man's ?
113. DIVINE JUSTICE. Take heed :—for God holds vengeance in his hand To burl upon their heads that break his law.
114. PRINCES. Princes have but their titles for their glories; An outward honour for an inward toil.
115. JUSTICE DIVINE. God needs no indirect nor lawless course To cut off those who have offended him. 116. VILLAINS HATE THEIR TOOLS.
* He who sets men on To do a crime, will hate them for the crime.
117. SORROW. Sorrow breaks seasons, and reposing hours; Makes the night morning, and the noon-tide night.