« ÎnapoiContinuă »
PROMOTIONS AND APPOINTMENTS.
Jan. 11. The Hon. William Stuart, Secretary to Her Majesty's Embassy at St. Petersburgh, to be Her Majesty's Minister Plenipotentiary to the Argentine Republic.
15. Sir Arthur Edward Kennedy, C.B. (late Governor and Commander-inChief of the Island of Vancouver and its dependencies), to be Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the West Africa Settlements.
18. Captain Lord Frederick Herbert Kerr, R.N., to be one of the Grooms in Waiting in Ordinary to Her Majesty, in the room of Rear-Admiral Sir William Hoste, resigned.
28. The Right Hon. William Tatton, Baron Egerton, to be Her Majesty's Lieutenant for the county of Chester.
30. The honour of Knighthood conferred upon Charles Wheatstone, Esq., F.R.S.
Feb. 8. Sir Charles Jasper Selwyn, Knight, to be a Judge of the Court of Appeal in Chancery, in the room of the Right Hon. Sir John Rolt, Knight, resigned.
24. The Right Hon. Lord Au. gustus William Frederick Spencer Loftus, Her Majesty's Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the King of Prussia, to be Her Majesty's Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the North German Confederation.
25. James Hannen, Serjeant-atLaw, to be one of the Justices of Her Majesty's Court of Queen's Bench.
The dignity of Baronet ferred on William Jenner, Esq., M.D., and the heirs male of his body lawfully begotten.
raeli, the Right Hon. George Ward Hunt, the Hon. Gerard James Noel, Sir Graham Graham-Montgomery, and Henry Whitmore, Esq., to be Commissioners for executing the offices of Treasurer of the Exchequer of Great Britain, and Lord High Treasurer of Ireland.
March 5. Sir William Page Wood, Knight, a Vice-Chancellor, to be a Judge of the Court of Appeal in Chancery, in the room of the Right Honourable Hugh M'Calmont, Baron Cairns, resigned.
9. Francis Knollys, Esq., to be one of the Gentlemen Ushers Quarterly Waiters in Ordinary to Her Majesty, in the room of Captain Robert Tench Bedford, R.N., deceased.
Horace Rumbold, Esq., now Secretary of Her Majesty's Legation at Berne, to be Secretary of Her Majesty's . Embassy at St. Petersburg; and Algernon Bertram Mitford, Esq., to be a Second Secretary in Her Majesty's Diplomatic Service; William Doria, Esq., now Secretary to Her Majesty's Legation at Stockholm, to be Secretary to Her Majesty's Legation at
the Hon. Francis John Pakenham, now Secretary to Her Majesty's Legation at Rio de Janeiro, to be Secretary to Her Majesty's Legation at Stock. holm; and Robert Thomas Charles Mid. dleton, Esq., Secretary to Her Majesty's late Legation at Mexico, to be Secretary to Her Majesty's Legation at Berne.
11. George Markham Giffard, Esq., one of Her Majesty's Counsel, to be a Vice-Chancellor, in the room of Sir William Page Wood, resigned.
29. The honour of Knighthood conferred on William Baliol Brett, Esq., M.P., Her Majesty's Solicitor-General.
The Right Hou. Benjamin Dis.
24. The Rev. John Edward Kempe, Rector of St. James's, Westminster, and Honorary Chaplain to Her Majesty, to be one of the Chaplains in Ordinary to Her Majesty; and the Hon. and Rev. George Thomas Orlando Bridgeman, Rector of Wigan, Lancashire, to be an Honorary Chaplain to Her Majesty.
March 31. Sir W. Page Wood, and tices of Her Majesty's Court of Queen's Sir C. J. Selwyn, to be members of Her Bench. Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Coun- The honour of Knighthood conferred cil.
on the Right Hon. William Carroll, M.D., April 3.
The Most Noble Richard Lord Mayor of Dublin. Plantagenet Campbell Temple Nugent May 23. At the Court of Balmoral, Brydges Chandos, Duke of Buckingham Her Majesty, as Sovereign of the Most and Chandos, to be Her Majesty's Lieu- Noble Order of the Garter, was graciously tenant for the county of Buckingham. pleased by letters patent under her Royal
11. The dignity of a Baron of sign manual and the great seal of the the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Order, bearing date this day, to dispense Ireland granted unto the following per. with all the statutes and regulations sons, and the respective heirs male of usually observed in regard to installation, their bodies lawfully begotten :
and to give and grant unto John Winston, The Right Hon. Sir John Trollope, Duke of Marlborough, Knight of the said Bart., by the name, style, and title of most noble Order, and duly invested with Baron Kesteven, of Casewick, in the the ensigns thereof, full power and authocounty of Lincoln.
rity to exercise all rights and privileges Sir John Benn Walsh, Bart., by the belonging to a Knight Companion of the name, style, and title of Baron Ormath- said most noble Order of the Garter, in as waite, of Ormathwaite, in the county of full and ainple a manner as if he had been Cumberland.
formally installed, any decree, rule, or Sir Brook William Bridges, Bart., by usage to the contrary notwithstanding. the name, style, and title of Baron Fitz- June 16. The Hon. Lionel Sackville walter, of Woodham Walter, in the Sackville West, now Secretary to Her county of Essex.
Majesty's Embassy at Berlin, to be SecreWilliam O'Neill, Clerk, by the name, tary to Her Majesty's Embassy at Paris. style, and title of Baron O'Neill, of
22. Edward Dwyer, Esq., to be Shanes Castle, in the county of Antrim. a Puisne Judge of the Supreme Court of
23. The Right Hon. John Ba- the colony of the Cape of Good Hope. ron Romilly; the Right Hon. Spencer 23. His Royal Highness Prince Horatio Walpole ; George Markham Gif- Arthur William Patrick Albert, K.G., fard, Esq., a Vice-Chancellor; Edward from the Royal Military Academy, to be Howes, Esq.; Arthur Hobhouse, Esq., Lieutenant in the Royal Engineers. one of Her Majesty's Counsel; Jacob 26. Her Majesty issued a ComWaley, Henry Ihring, Edward Parker mission under her royal sign manual to Wolstenholme, Esqrs., Barristers-at-Law; inquire into the present state of military John Young and William James Farrer, education in this country. The ComEsqrs., to be Her Majesty's Commissioners missioners, Earl de Grey and Ripon, to inquire into the operation of the Land Lieutenant-Colonel Lord Eustace Cecil, Transfer Act, and also into the present Lieutenant-General Lord de Ros, Lord condition of the Registry of Deeds for Northbrook, Lieutenant-Colonel Sir the County of Middlesex.
Charles Russell, Lieutenant-General Sir May 1. The Hon. and Ven. Charles Duncan Alexander Cameron, the Rev. Amyand Harris, M.A. (Archdeacon of Henry Montagu Butler, D.D., the Rev. Wilts), to be ordained and consecrated William Charles Lake, M.A., BrigadierBishop of the See of Gibraltar.
General John Henry Lefroy, Colonel 2. The Right Hon. George, Earl Edmund Haythorne, and Lieutenantof Haddington, to be Her Majesty's Colonel Charles Cornwallis Chesney, re. High Commissioner to the General Assein- quired to report any recommendations bly of the Church of Scotland.
they may have to make as to alterations 4. The Most Noble Arthur in the system of military education, and Richard, Duke of Wellington, K.G., to in the constitution of the Royal Military be Her Majesty's Lieutenant for the Academy at Woolwich and of the Royal County of Middlesex.
Military College at Sandhurst. Lieu. Samuel Wensley Blackall, Esq. (late tenant John Wallace Hozier appointed Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the Secretary West Africa Settlements), to be Governor July 7. The honour of Knighthood conand Commander-in-Chief of the Colony of ferred on Thomas Tilson, Esq., of ClapQueensland and its dependencies.
ham Park. 14. The honour of Knighthood 13. The Hon. Francis John Pakconferred on George Markham Giffard, enham, now Secretary to Her Majesty's Esq., a Vice-Chancellor.
Legation at Stockholin, to be Secretary The Honour of Knighthood conferred to Her Majesty's Legation at Brussels. on James Hannen, Esq., one of the Jus
18. The Hon. William Nassau
Jocelyn, now a Second Secretary in Her William Watkin, of Northenden, in the Majesty's Diplomatic Service, to be Secre- county Palatine of Chester, Esq. tary to Her Majesty's Legation at Stock- Letters Patent under the Great Seal holm.
of the United Kingdom of Great Britain July 25. The dignities of Viscount and and Ireland constituting and appointing Earl of the United Kingdom of Great the Right Hon. Henry Thomas Lowry Britain and Ireland granted unto William Corry, Vice-Admiral Sir Alexander Milne, Ernest, Baron Feversham, and to the K.C.B; Vice-Admiral Sir Sidney Colpoys heirs male of his body lawfully begotten, Dacres, K.C.B.; Rear-Admiral George by the names, styles, and titles of Vis- Henry Seymour, C.B.; Rear-Admiral Sir count Helmsley, of Helmsley, in the John Charles Dalrymple Hay; and the North Riding of the county of York, and Hon. Frederick Arthur Stanley, to be Her Earl of Feversham, of Ryedale, in the Majesty's Commissioners for executing North Riding of the county of York. the office of Lord High Admiral of the
31. Joseph Stone Williams, Esq., said United Kingdom of Great Britain to be Chief Justice of the Supreme Court and Ireland, and the dominions, islands, of the Island of St. Helena.
and territories thereunto belonging. Aug. 8. The dignity of a Baronet of Sept. 2. John Richard Quain, Esq., the United Kingdom of Great Britain one of Her Majesty's Counsel, to be Her and Ireland granted unto George Etienne Majesty's Attorney-General of the county Cartier, of the city of Montreal, in the palatine of Durham, vacant by the death province of Quebec, in the Dominion of of Stephen Temple, Esq. Canada, Esq., Minister of Militia in the - 7. James Bacon, Esq., one of Her Privy Council of the Dominion of Canada, Majesty's Counsel learned in the law, to and to the heirs male of his body lawfully be one of the Commissioners of the Court begotten.
of Bankruptcy, in the room of Edward 21. General his Royal Highness Goulburn, Serjeant-at-Law, deceased. Albert Edward, Prince of Wales and Duke – 9. The Rev. Hugh McNeile, D.D., of Cornwall, K.G., K.T., G.C.B., K.P., the Deanery of Her Majesty's Cathedral G.C.S.I., to be Colonel-in-Chief of the Church of Ripon, void by the death of Rifle Brigade, vice Field-Marshal the William Goode, D.D. Right Hon. Sir Edward Blakeney, G.C.B., - 10. Sir Benjamin Chilley CampG.C.H., deceased.
bell Pine, Knight, to be Governor and 24. Sir William Baliol Brett, Ser. Commander-in-Chief of the Colo of jeant-at-Law, to be an additional Jus- Western Australia and its dependentice of Her Majesty's Court of Common cies. Pleas.
16. Richard Baggallay, Esq., one Major-General Edward Lechmere Rus- of Her Majesty's Counsel learned in the sell, Bombay Army, Political Resident at law, to be Her Majesty's Solicitor-General, Aden, to a be Knight Commander of the Oct. 1. Major-General Philip Melmoth Most Exalted Order of the Star of India; Nelson Guy, C.B., to be Lieutenantand Colonel William Lockyer Merewether, Governor of the Island of Jersey, in the C.B., Bombay Staff Corps, Chief Com- room of Lieutenant-General Burke Cupmissioner in Sindh, and lately Political page, whose period of service has expired. Resident at Aden, to be an Extra Knight 9. Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Henry Commander of the said Order.
Creswicke Rawlinson, K.C.B., to be a Major James Augustus Grant, C.B., member of the Council of India. Bengal Staff Corps, to be a Companion of 29. Harry Ernest Clay Ker Seythe said Most Exalted Order of the Star mer, Esq., now a Second Secretary in of India.
Her Majesty's Diplomatic Service, and 25. George Hayes, Serjeant-at-Law, employed in Her Majesty's Embassy at to bean additional Justice of Her Majesty's Paris, to be Secretary to Her Majesty's Court of Queen's Bench.
Legation at Berne. Anthony Cleasby, Serjeant-at-Law, to Nov. 9. The dignity of a Baronet of be an additional Baron of Her Majesty's the United Kingdom of Great Britain Court of Exchequer.
and Ireland granted unto Charles Mills, - 29. The dignity of a Knight of of Hillingdon Court, and Camelford the United Kingdom of Great Britain House, Park Lane, both in the County of and Ireland granted unto the following Middlesex, Esq., late a Member of the gentlemen:-Andrew Fairbairn, of Woods- Council of India, and the heirs male of his ley-house, Leeds, in the West Riding of body lawfully begotten. the County of York, Esq., Mayor of Leeds; The dignity of a Baronet of the United Frederick Arrow, of Pilgrim's Hall, in the Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland County of Essex, Esq., Deputy Master of granted unto Robert Bateson Harvey, of the Trinity House, London; Edward Langley Park, in the County of Buckingham, Esq., and the heirs male of his body style, and title of Viscountess Beaconslawfully begotten.
field, of Beaconsfield, in the County of Nov. 11. The Rev. William Weldon Buckingham, and at her decease the dig. Champneys, Master of Arts, Canon of the nity of a Viscount of the said United Cathedral Church of St. Paul in London, Kingdom to the heirs male of her body to be Dean of the Cathedral Church of lawfully begotten. Lichfield, the same being void by the Dec. 1. The dignity of a Baron of the death of Dr. Henry Edward John Howard, United Kingdom of Great Britain and late Dean thereof; the Queen has been Ireland granted unto Edward Anthony pleased to grant unto Francis Kynvett John, Viscount Gormanston, in that part Leighton, Doctor in Divinity, the place of the said United Kingdom called Ireland, and dignity of a Canon of the Collegiate and the heirs male of his body lawfully Church of St. Peter, Westminster, the begotten, by the name, style, and title of same being void by the death of the Rev. Baron Gormanston, of whitewood, in the Ernest Hawkins, late Canon thereof.
County of Meath. 18. The Right Hon. Sir John The Rev. Robert Gregory to be a Canon Young, Bart., K.C.B., G.C.M.G., late of the Cathedral Church of St. Paul in Captain-General and Governor-in-Chief London, void by the promotion of the in and over the Colony of New South Rev. William Weldon Champneys to the Wales, to be an extra member of the civil Deanery of the Cathedral Church of division of the first class, or Knights Lichfield. Grand Cross of the Most Honourable The Rev. William Bright, M.A., to be Order of the Bath.
Regius Professor of Ecclesiastical History The dignity of a Baronet of the United in the University of Oxford, in the room Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland of the Rev. Henry Longueville Mansel, granted to the undermentioned gentlemen promoted to the Deanery of St. Paul's iu and the respective heirs male of their bodies London. lawfully begotten:
2. Henry Lowther, Esq., to be Francis Arthur Knox-Gore, of Belleek Lord-Lieutenant and Custos Rotulorum Manor, in the county of Mayo, Esq., Her of the counties of Westmorland and Cum. Majesty's Lieutenant of the County of berland, in the room of the Right Hon. Sligo.
the Earl of Lonsdale, resigned. Smith Child, of Newfield and of Stalling. - 4. The names of the Peers elected ton, in the County of Stafford, and of and chosen to sit and vote in the House Dunlosset, Islay, in the County of Argyll, of Peers in the ensuing Parliament of the Esq.
United Kingdom : -- The Marquis of Robert John Harvey Harvey, of Crown Tweeddale, the Earl of Morton, the Earl Point, in the parish of Trowse, in the of Home, the Earl of Haddington, the County of Norfolk, Esq.
Earl of Lauderdale, the Earl of Airlie, the James Walker, of Sand Hutton, in the Earl of Leven and Melville, the Earl of North Riding of the County of York, and Selkirk, the Earl of Orkney, Viscount of Beachampton, in the County of Buck- Strathallan, the Lord Saltoun, the Lord ingham, Esq.
Sinclair, the Lord Elphinstone, the Lord – 26. The Queen has been pleased Blantyre, the Lord Colville of Culross. to order a congé d'élire to pass the Great 9. John Bright, Esq., Hugh Culling Seal of the United Kingdom of Great Eardley Childers, Esq., Austen Henry Britain and Ireland empowering the Dean Layard, Esq., and William Edward Forsand Chapter of the Metropolitical Church ter, Esq., sworn of Her Majesty's Most of Canterbury to elect an Archbishop of Honourable Privy Council. that see, the same being void by the Her Majesty in Council delivered the death of Dr. Charles Thomas Longley, Great Seal to the Right Hon. Sir William late Archbishop thereof; and Her Ma. Page Wood, Knight, whereupon the oath jesty has also been pleased to recommend of Lord Chancellor of Great Britain was to the said Dean and Chapter the Right by Her Majesty's command administered Hon. and Right Rev. Father in God, Dr. to him, and he took his place at the Archibald Campbell Tait, now Bishop of Board accordingly. London, to be by them elected Archbishop The dignity of a Baron of the United of the said see of Canterbury.
Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland 28. Letters Patent to be passed granted unto the Right Hon. Sir William under the Great Seal granting the dignity Page Wood, Knight, Chancellor, of that of a Viscountess of the United Kingdom part of the said United Kingdom called of Great Britain and Ireland, unto Mary Great Britain, and to the heirs male of his Anne, wife of the Right Hon. Benjamin body lawfully begotten, by the name, style, Disraeli, of Hughenden Manor, in the and title of Baron Hatherley, of Down County of Buckingham, by the name, Hatherley, in the County of Gloucester.
The honour of Knighthood conferred Most Hon. Henry Charles Keith, Maron Anthony Cleasby, one of the Barons quis of Lansdowne; William Patrick of Her Majesty's Court of Exchequer, Adam, Esq.; and the Hon. John Cranch Richard Baggallay, Esq., Her Majesty's Walker Vivian, to be Commissioners for Solicitor-General, Louis Mallett, Esq., C.B., executing the offices of Treasurer of the Assistant-Secretary to the Board of Trade, Exchequer of Great Britain and Lord and George Hayes, Esq., one of the Jus- High Treasurer of Ireland. tices of Her Majesty's Court of Queen's Sir William Snagg, Knt., to be Chief Bench.
Justice for the Colony of British Guiana. Dec. 15. The Right Hon. George Sydney Smith Bell, Esq., to be Chief Joachim Goschen, to be Poor Law Com. Justice of the Supreme Court of the inissioner for England.
Colony of the Cape of Good Hope; and 16. The Right Hon. William Charles Thomas Smith, Esq., to be Puisne Ewart Gladstone ; the Right Hon. Robert Judge of the Supreme Court of that Lowe; James Stansfeld, jun., Esq.; the colony.
HER MAJESTY'S MINISTERS AND CHIEF OFFICERS
William Ewart Gladstone.
Hon. Earl de Grey and Ripon.
Right Hon. Henry Austin Bruce.
Right Hon. Earl of Clarendon. Secretary of State, Colonial Department,
Third Lord of the Treasury, James
W. P. Adam, Esq., Capt. Hon. J.
Vivian, Marquis of Lansdowne.
Glyn, Esq., A. S. Ayrton, Esq.
Marshal, Right Hon. Sir Colman
Admiral Sir S. C. Dacres, Vice-Admiral
George 0. Trevelyan, Esq.
Right Hon. Earl Granville.
Right Hon. Edward Cardwell.
His Grace Duke of Argyll.
Hon. H. C. E. Childers.
Hon. John Bright.
Hon. G. Joachim Goschen.
ment, E. H. Knatchbull-Hugessen, Esq. Under Secretary of State, Foreign De
partment, A. J. Otway, Esq. Under Secretary of State, Colonial De.
partment, Right Hon. William Monsell. Under Secretary of State, War Depart
ment, Lord Northbrook. Under Secretary of State, Indian De
partment, M. E. Grant Duff, Esq. Attorney-General, Sir Robert Porrett
Commander-in-Chief, Field-Marshal His
Royal Highness Duke of Cambridge. Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster,
Right Hon. Lord Dufferin and Clande
Henry Layard, Esq.
of Education, William E. Forster,
Master of the Mint, T. Graham, Esq.