« ÎnapoiContinuă »
Whereas the Government of Argentina supports the 1996 Declaration of Lima To Prevent, Combat and Eliminate Terrorism, which refers to terrorism as a serious form of organized and systematic violence that is intended to generate chaos and fear among the population, results in death and destruction, and is a reprehensible criminal activity, as well as the 1998 Commitment of Mar del Plata which calls terrorist acts serious common crimes that erode peaceful and civilized coexistence, affect the rule of law and the exercise of democracy, and endanger the stability of democratically elected constitutional governments and the socio-economic development of our countries; and Whereas it is the long-standing policy of the United States to stand firm against terrorist attacks wherever and whenever they occur and to work with its allies to ensure that justice is done; Now, therefore, be it
Resolved, That the House of Representatives
(1) reiterates its condemnation of the attack on the AMIA Jewish Community Center in Buenos Aires, Argentina in July, 1994, and honors the victims of this heinous act;
(2) strongly urges the Government of Argentina to fulfill its international obligations and its promise to the Argentine people by pursuing the local and international connections to this act of terrorism, wherever they may lead, and to duly punish all those who were involved;
(3) calls on the President to raise this issue in bilateral discussions with Argentine officials and to
underscore the United States concern regarding the
6-year delay in the resolution of this case;
(4) recommends that the United States Representative to the Organization of American States
seek support from the countries comprising the Inter-American Committee Against Terrorism to assist, if required by the Government of Argentina, in the investigation of this terrorist attack;
(5) encourages the President to direct United States law enforcement agencies to provide support and cooperation to the Government of Argentina, if requested, for purposes of the investigation into this bombing and terrorist activities in the tri-border area; and
(6) desires a lasting, warm relationship between the United States and Argentina built on mutual abhorrence of terrorism and commitments to peace,
stability, and democracy in the Western Hemisphere.
AMENDMENT TO H.RES. 531
OFFERED BY MR. GEJDENSON
After the 10th clause of the preamble insert the following:
Whereas the Government of Argentina was successful in
enacting a law on cooperation from defendants in terrorist matters, a law that will be helpful in pursuing full prosecution in this and other terrorist cases; and
In the 3rd paragraph after the resolving clause, insert "to continue" after "President"..
AMMENDMENT TO H. RES. 531
Insert the following after the third whereas clause:
"Whereas the current government in Argentina has made a commitment to combating international terrorism as illustrated by their contribution to the creation of the new Organization of American States' Inter-American CounterTerrorism Committee."