« ÎnapoiContinuă »
It is presumed that every teacher will be supplied monthly with the Notes on the Scripture Lessons, and that he will, by the study of them, and by regular weekly attendance at the preparation class, make himself master of the subject, and thus be thoroughly prepared to teach the lessons for the day.
It should be remembered that, in consequence of the limited space at command, in some cases a large portion of the lesson selected for the elder classes is necessarily omitted. The teacher, therefore, may have to introduce the subject, or supply a connecting link in the middle. When a short line is inserted, it is to show that either the selection is from two separate chapters, or the continuity of the reading is broken. This gives a larger scope in the selection, and with care will make the lesson more interesting both to the teacher and scholar.
1. The children should be encouraged to commit to memory during the week the Golden Text and the Lesson Verse.
2. Each scholar being provided with the lesson, the teacher should announce the appointed subject, and briefly introduce it in a lively and attractive manner, by the aid of some well-chosen illustration which shall naturally lead on to the main facts or doctrines of the lesson to be taught; thus tending to secure for it the interest and attention of the class.
3. The lesson may then be read by the scholars simultaneously or individually, the teacher reading a portion in turn.
4. The teacher having previously divided the lesson into sections according to its character and meaning, the first section should be read again, and, by suitable questioning, explanation, and illustration, its meaning made plain to the scholars. The other sections should be dealt with in a similar manner. Examination by questions should follow each section.
5. In the foregoing exercises the leading practical truth or truths which the teacher desires to impress on the mind and heart should be constantly kept in view, and gradually brought out as the lesson is proceeded with. The close of the teaching will consist of a brief and earnest attempt to press home the practical application of these truths in the most forcible and affectionate manner.
If these suggestions be duly considered, and, as far as applicable to each particular case, be carried out with an earnest spirit, a loving heart, and in prayerful dependence on the Holy Spirit, teachers will not fail to secure the blessing of Him who hath said, “My Word shall not return unto Me void.”
37 38 39 40 41
4. The Word made Flesh ........
25. Jesus and Nicodemus May 2. Memorial Stones...
2. Jesus at the Well
30. Jesus Feeding Five Thousand June 6. Canaan; or, Rest at Last
6. Jesus, the Bread of Life
42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61
The LIST OF SCRIPTURE LESSONS for the entire year is published at ls. per 100, and will also be found in the "Sunday School Illustrated Almanack," price One Penny.
The great work of religious instruction will be materially assisted by teachers inducing the parents of Sunday scholars to post up in their dwellings, where it may conveniently and continually be seen, a copy of the List of Lessons or the Sunday School Illustrated Almanack.
JOSHUA; OR, STRENGTH PROMISED.
JOSHUA i. 148. Now after the death of Moses the servant of the Lord it came to pass, that the Lord spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying, Moses My servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, even to the children of Israel.
Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses. From the wilderness and this Lebanon even unto the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and unto the great sea toward the going down of the sun, shall be your coast.
, There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them.
Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses My servant commanded thee: tum not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein : for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
THE WORD MADE
GOLDEN TEXT. The Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.—John i. 14.
JOHN i. 1-14.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
The same was in the beginning with God.
All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made.
In Him was life; and the life was the light of
And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
He was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not.
He came unto His own, and His own received Him not.
But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name:
Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
THE LORD DOING WONDERS.
GOLDEN TEXT. Who is like Thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing
wonders ?—Exodus xv. 11.
JOSHUA iii. 5, 7, 8; 14–17. AND Joshua said unto the people, Sanctify yourselves : for to-morrow the Lord will do wonders among you.
And the Lord said unto Joshua, This day will I begin to magnify thee in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee.
And thou shalt command the priests that bear the ark of the covenant, saying, When ye are come to the brink of the water of Jordan, ye shall stand still in Jordan.
And it came to pass, when the people removed from their tents, to pass over Jordan, and the priests bearing the ark of the covenant before the people ;
And as they that bare the ark were come unto Jordan, and the feet of the priests that bare the ark were dipped in the brim of the water, (for Jordan overfloweth all his banks all the time of harvest,)
That the waters which came down from above stood and rose up upon an heap very far from the city Adam, that is beside Zaretan : and those that came down toward the sea of the plain, even the salt sea, failed, and were cut off: and the people passed over right against Jericho.
And the priests that bare the ark of the covenant of the Lord stood firm on dry ground in the midst of Jordan, and all the Israelites passed over on dry ground, until all the people were passed clean over Jordan.